Re: Custom library for emacs 19.34 ?

Gregor Hoffleit <flight@mathi.uni-heidelberg.DE> writes:

| I have tried to package custom (look at
| http://www.mathi.uni-heidelberg.de/~flight/debian-private/custom/) so that
| it can be dropped in for emacs-19.34 and that works for python-mode.el
| 3.28. Still I've heard rumours that custom-1.9961 breaks GNUS. Perhaps
| interested parties could try this package.

I don't know about your package but at least when I tried new
custom package (because of new python-mode) with emacs-19.34 it
indeed broke Gnus. That is, the Gnus that comes with
emacs-19.34.

I don't really see the point of installing newest versions of
elisp stuff to old versions of emacs, especially when only few
elisp packages are available as Debian packages.

Actually your custom package should now depend on Emacs 20* and
that would be pointless. If Gnus were provided as a package,
Gnus version 5.5 (which is the one that comes with Emacs 20*
AFAIK) could simply depend on this new custom package and Gnus
5.3 would depend on older custom and conflict with the new
one. Gnus 5.5 again could be installed with emacs-19.34 (unless,
of course, it again breaks something that I'm not aware of).

Summa summarum: stick to packages with similar age to emacs
distribution's age, use Gnus 5.3, old custom and old python-mode
with emacs-19.34 _or_ start modularizing emacs so that its elisp
packages can be updated independently as Debian packages with
reasonable dependency/conflict control.

| If it does no big damage, I'd like to suggest to include this in hamm
| somehow (either as separate package, or as addition to emacs).

Sorry, but you don't get my vote with this plan. Unless you
provide at least Gnus as a separate package, users can
easily break emacs by installing a package (custom in this
case) that conflicts with something (Gnus 5.3 in this case) in a
way that dpkg can't see (because custom conflicts with Gnus 5.3,
which is contained in emacs-19.34, which custom doesn't conflict
with (according to your idea)).

just my 2c,

--
Hannu Koivisto | What you see is all you get.
NOYB           |                            - Brian Kernighan