Re: What warrants a non-maintainer release number?

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

>    ``Whenever the source package is changed WRT to the last uploaded
>    version, its version number has to be incremented. In addition,
>    if the source package is not changed but the binary package
>    changed (because it has been recompiled in another environment),
>    the version number has to be incremented too (this is, the source
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    package has to be changed and uploaded again) to make sure
>    dpkg/dselect recognizes the changed package.''

I completely disagree with the last sentence.  If I compile xfree for
m68k and because of a broken ldd, it has hosed dependencies (this is
not so fictional an example, it actually happened with ncurses), I
should be able to recompile X with a different version number and
*only upload binaries*.  What would redoing and uploading the source
get me or anyone else?

o it takes 5 days to compile X on my machine, I don't even want to
  think how long it would take dpkg-source to work on a 42 Mb source
  tree.

o it would spark off 100% pointless recompiles on other architectures.

o it serves no purpose.  The only source change is to the changelog,
  and that is included in the deb.  And it doesn't help the rational
  of this policy (that is: source, or no source, dpkg/dselect will
  still recognise foo_1.2-1.0.1 to be newer than fo_1.2-1).

--
James