Re: Re[2]: cron jobs more often than daily

On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 02:51:52AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> /etc/init.d/debian.cron to run the package that would next need to be.
> Everytime that /etc/init.d/debian.cron is run, it checks to see when the next
> package is to be run, and updates itself, and /etc/cron.tab.
>
> Does anyone understand what I am trying to accomplish here?  Each time
> /etc/init.d/debian.cron runs, it modifies /etc/cron.tab, changing the time that
> it will next be run at.  This might be better handled with some type of alarm
> program, that will exec another program at a specific time, instead of every so
> often.

Sounds like `at' to me. So I could schedule my thing to run every
15 minutes with at, but I think that the sysadmin probably assumes
that standard system tasks will not be run through at, but by cron.
at has an atd, probably because it wasn't allowed to add atrun to
crontab :-)

hamish