Screen-refresh in vi

I have a problem with the vi editor and screen-refresh (and possibly
ncurses). Before filing an bug report, I'd like to ask whether somebody
noticed this already or whether it is my local configuration problem.
Moreover, I'm not able to isolate the offending package.

Here it is:

You're editing something and want to insert the current date.
No, problem, you type: ':r!date'
And the problem appears. The screen doesn't get refreshed, until you
add something before the line where the output was written to.
Neither ^R, nor ^L refresh the whole screen. I have this problem
only on my hamm system, the bo system works like a charm.
Any ideas/is this already known?

(david@eos) /var/tmp$dpkg -s nvi ncurses-base
Package: nvi
 Vi is the original screen based text editor for Unix systems.
 It is considered the standard text editor, and is available on
 almost all Unix systems.
 .
 Nvi is intended as a "bug-for-bug compatible" clone of the original
 BSD vi editor. As such, it doesn't have a lot of snazzy features as do
 some of the other vi clones such as elvis and vim. However, if all
 you want is vi, this is the one to get.

Package: ncurses-base
Essential: yes
 This package contains what should be a reasonable subset of terminal
 definitions, including: ansi, dumb, linux, sun, vt100, vt102, vt220,
 vt52, xterm and xterm-color.

David

--
David Frey (51F35923114FC864 7D05FF173C61EFDE)
  -- Henry Spencer