Re: cron jobs more often than daily

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
[modifying /etc/crontab]

> Urgh, I hate it already. Can somebody post a rationale for
> the section of policy quoted above? I notice that mgetty
> has added faxrunq to my /etc/crontab on my bo system.

One rationale can be found in policy section 3.3.7: "A package may not
modify a configuration file of another package".  /etc/crontab is a
conffile of package cron.

Perhaps this could be solved by having cron provide an update-crontab
command, just like update-inetd, et cetera.  (And it does look like we
need a generic framework for things like this, like Guy Maor
described.)

Richard Braakman