Re: need libc5 non-maintainer upgrade

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Chris Fearnley wrote:

> 'Christian Schwarz wrote:'

> >> I don't think we should make it automatic.  But it should be
> >> documented in the libc5 -> libc6 transition FAQ.
> >
> >If it is possible, we should make it automatic, since most users don't
> >read any documentation before trying it first. And "try and error" really
> >fails here...
>
> In general, you would be correct.
>
> But pre-depends (or even depends) in libc6 on libc5 (which would be
> required to make it automatic) would force everyone who intalls hamm
> to also install libc5 in perpetuity.  Which IMHO is equally bad.  So I
> suggest the tradeoff: document the transition for those who want libc5
> development support.  But don't require it.  Unless someone sees a
> clean solution?

Sorry, but I don't get your point.

 Package: libc6
 Version: 2.0.6-2
 Pre-Depends: ldso (>= 1.8.10-1)
 Conflicts: libc5 (<<5.4.33-7), libpthread0 (<<0.7-10)

 Package: libc5
 Version: 5.4.38-0.1
 Pre-Depends: ldso (>=1.7.14-2)
 Depends: libc6 (>=2.0.4-1)
 Conflicts: libc5-dev, wg15-locale, locales (<<2.0.4-1)

libc5 only depends on libc6. Where is the pre-depends problem?

AFAIR, the major problem is during an upgrade of bash. bash pre-depends on
libreadlineg2, which conflicts with old versions of libreadline2. Thus,
you'll have to upgrade libreadline2 _first_. However, this moves the
libreadline* files from /lib into /lib/libc5-compat . Subsequent calls to
bash will break unless you run `ldconfig'.

Thus, there is no problem if you upgrade each of these packages _one at
a time_. Running dpkg on all these packages at once _fails_ since
libreadline2 is not configured immediately after unpacking.

Now, if we could set the `Immediate-Configure: Yes' in the libreadline2
package, dpkg would just make it right, I think.

Doesn't this solve all of our problems?

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz