I'll take ftplib

Hi.  I noticed that one of the packages for which I reported a "link
shared libraries against other libraries" bug was orphaned.

Because I rather like the package (ftplib), I decided to pick up
maintenance and bring it up to date with current policy.  There is
also a new upstream version with significant changes to the package
layout.

The first thing I ran into was that there does not seem to be a
"Keeper of the sonames" for this library.  The upstream source simply
creates an ftplib.so file without a version number.  I will contact
the author about that, but what should I do in the meantime?

The previous package (ftplib 2-3) installs the shared library as
libftp.so.1.0 and makes a link from libftp.so.1, but it does not seem
to give it an soname while linking it.  What is the effect of that?
Is it anything I need to worry about for backward compatibility?
(I'm assuming that the author will want to start numbering at 2 or 3,
because there are interface incompatibilities between ftplib-v1 and
ftplib-v2, and the current version is ftplib-v3).

Thanks,
Richard Braakman