Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy.

rlb@cs.utexas.edu (Rob Browning)  wrote on 29.12.97 in <[🔎] 87pvmghbzy.fsf@nevermore.csres.utexas.edu>:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> > 	I find this hard to believe. kernel-headers and kernel-source
> >  packages write to the directories kernel-headers-X.X.XX and
> >  kernel-source-X.X.XX. They create symbolic links /usr/src/linux and
> >  /usr/src/linux-X.X.Xx.
> >
> > 	They most certainly do not clobber existing local headers in
> >  /usr/src/linux!!
>
> I think you overlooked part of my post.  I mentioned that *I* had
> created /usr/src/linux as a link to /usr/src/linux-my-kernel-version.
> Then when I installed kernel-headers (because the new libc6-dev made
> me), kernel-headers saw the link, decided it was OK, and proceeded to
> write it's files into /usr/src/my-kernel-version.  I'm not claiming
> this is a bug, since I think it's becoming clear that I shouldn't have
> made the link in the first place, but I was a little surprised, and I
> think others might be as well.

I just looked through all the kernel-header packages I could find. None of
them contains a single file in /usr/src/linux/*. _All_ files are in
/usr/src/kernel-header*.

Whatever happened, this can't be it. Unless your local kernel directory
was named kernel-header*, which I don't believe.

I've always had inofficial and official kernels in there, and the official
ones have never, ever killed anything. Of course, it's fairly easy to mess
up the other way around, as the original sources still unpack into linux/
*.

MfG Kai