tk 8.0

An application of mine is written using Tcl/tk and a number of C
routines which
are compiled into Tcl and, hence, requires that Tcl and Tk be compilable
on a
platform on which I intend to run it.  The program has always worked
well on
RedHat linux and Windows NT.  Code compiled under the last version of
RedHat
prior to 5.0 runs under Debian 1.3, but glitches and then crashes after
several
user inputs.  My next thought was to compile the code under Debian and
try to run
with xxgdb, but I can't even get Tk 80p2 to configure and make under
Debian.
I've never seen the configure script for Tk fail to work previously on
any reasonable
version of UNIX and I can't see any obvious thing which it might be
looking for
which doesn't appear to be there.

Any thoughts?  Tck/Tk, by the way, is the first cross-platform
development system
I've ever seen which I'd give a thumbs-up to and may be the best of all
possible
shots at bridging the software gap between UNIX and the Windows world.
It is
handled by Sun microsystems (www.sunscript.com) as is Java, and is
regarded as
being at least as important as Java;  between Tcl and Java at this
point, Tcl is the
mature technology.  Not being able to configure or make Tcl/Tk 8 on any
particular
unix variant, therefore, is a real serious problem.

Ted Holden
medved@access.digex.com