Re: Emacs20 and mail file locking.

David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch> writes:

> It isn't. The old policy mandated dot-lock, IIRC.

OK, then I'll assume that we want to hack emacs to use liblockfile.
This requires repeatedly calling touchlock() to keep the lockfile from
being deleted during the period when the lock is being held.  I think
this may be a problem if emacs grabs the lock (with maillock()), and
then the user suspends the program for more than 5 minutes (the
default timeout for maillock).  When emacs resumes, the lockfile has
been deleted, but emacs still thinks it has the lock.

The only simple way I can see around this problem is to have emacs
spawn a small process to keep touching the lockfile (every 4 minutes
or so) whenever it acquires the lock, and kill that process when the
lock is released.  Does that seen reasonable to everyone else?

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>