ports system (Re: Paranoia, "pristine sources", turnkeys, compiling, configuration)

From: Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu>
Subject: Re: Paranoia, "pristine sources", turnkeys, compiling, configuration
Date: 18 Dec 1997 17:19:58 -0500

> Ahh, but judging from recent posts to USENET, "ports" seems to be more
> of a system for "source package" management than package management.
> And our source packaging could use some revamping anyways. (I'd like
> multiple .tar.gz files and multiple diff files, for example.)
>
> (As far as I can tell from USENET, their binary packages are similar
> to Slakware.)
>
> If anyone decides to work on a better source packaging system for
> Debian, they probably should look at "ports" for some ideas.

It is not better source packaging system, but I introduce "ports"
like system for Debian.  mtakechi@mail.at-m.or.jp, one of the Debian
JP developers, has made a experimental package, debian-ports.
You can get it from
 ftp://ftp.debian.or.jp/pub/linux/debian-jp/project-jp/experimental/
and sample "ports" file in its subdirectory 'ports/'.
However its documentation is Japanese only, sorry.

This package provides only Makefile for pmake like *BSD ports system.
To install "ports",
  get tar.gz of original package file and put it in /usr/src/ports/distfiles/.
  extract "ports" in /usr/src/ports/.
  run "pmake" in the extracted directory and you can get "deb" file.
  install its "deb" file.

If you are interested in it, you may use it as the start point.
--
Fumitoshi UKAI / Debian JP Project