Re: I take debmake

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> I don't believe that debhelper address one of Ian's main complaints at
> all.  If I remeber correctly, that complaint was that when you use
> debmake (or debhelper), you end up with debian package source with
> non-deterministic behavior.  Depending on the version of the packaging
> tool installed on the system you use to build the package, you may get
> a radically different resulting set of binaries.

But using another compiler or dpkg would result in a different set of
binaries, too. To get rid of the problems we need source depends.

> In addition (but less important), the current approach requires that
> you have the packaging tool package (debmake or debhelper) installed
> on the system where you're doing the build.

the only solution is to integrate the things into dpkg ...

> Ian was proposing to fix these problems with a more
> automake/autoconfish apprach where the commands to build your package
> would reside within the package itself (rather than in /usr/bin via an
> external package), and there would be a higher level command (like
> autoconf) that when run would bring these embedded commands up to the
> current packaging tool standards.

it's nice to have, but brings no advantages. If we change the
autoconfish thing we get the same different binaries as through
changing debhelper/debmake. It's IMHO only a different view but no
substantial change. And debhelper is working NOW - the other approach
is vaporware.

A solution can be to use autoconf for the architecture specific things
and let the rest do from dpkg.

Bye
  Christian

--