Re: Proxy server policy [was Re: gated]

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>On 10 Dec 1997, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:
>> ...and so on.  I'm not sure that you can ever have a scheme that will work
>> for -all- the wierd and wonderful proxies, caches and firewalls out there.
>>
>> (This cache is something that was knocked up locally, I think.  It's
>> integrated with the HENSA mirrors, but fetches updates to individual
>> files on demand, too.)
>
>Yes, this is most unusual. If it was created locally I would suggest you
>use something more 'normal' for instance:
[...]

Knocked up locally, but not by me, I'm afraid.  And since it now
certainly has hundreds (or maybe thousands) of users, I suspect it would
be impractical to change it now...

My point was simply that there are sure to be many different proxy
configurations, so you can't hope to support all of them out of the box.
It might well be possible to support all the popular ones, but there
ought to be a way of customising for strange setups like ours.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>