Re: Proxy server policy [was Re: gated]

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> > > We should have a standard place for these things - say:
> > >
> > > /etc/proxies
> > > ------------
> > > http="http://www.proxy.company.com:80";
> > > ftp="ftp://ftpproxy.firewall.com";
> > >
> > > How about making this policy. I realise that most upstream packages will be
> > > harder to convert, but someone has to make a start. At least all debian
> > > originated packages can be made to use this.
> >
> > If you are going to do this then someone is going to have to decide on a
> > format for that file. There are many different kinds of proxies out there
> > :|
>
> Hmm - I don't really know much about this - other than some ask for username
> and password. Do you know what sort of thing we should have to support the
> full range?

Well, http is pretty simple, it's either authenticated or unauthenticated
HTTP proxy protocol. There should be a way to specifiy for which hosts it
applies to.. You could also do HTTP over socks4/5 but that's a bit silly.

FTP is difficult, there is at least:
   ftp over http
   ftp over user@host
   ftp over site
   ftp over ?? [I forget this one]
   ftp over NAT (passive)
   ftp over socks4 and socks5

Many of those have authenticated versions as well and all should have a
way to specify which addresses apply.

Jason