announcement lists

Now that we have email addresses for the packages
(<package-name>@debian.org??) I'll raise something I thought about a while
ago.

Currently the only way that a maintainer knows about a new package is:
  a) they keep checking the sites
  b) someone tells them (often through a bug report)
  c) they have a program which checks for new versions at a site

It would be nice to have an automated procedure so that package maintainers
don't have to do this themselves. I can see two methods (and both are really
needed):

a) subscribe <package>@debian.org to the announcement lists (with a limit on
the number of emails to be stored).

b) be able to specify a URL which can be checked for changes - for instance:

ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/Incoming/SVGATextmode-*

Am I just blathering on, or is this a workable and decent suggestion?

Cheers

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS