Re: random numbers

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, G John Lapeyre wrote:

> 	What are the considerations for choosing a system random number
> generator?  What if debian were the first unix to have a good random
> number generator ? (is there another?)  At least I should upload  GPL'd
> versions of the good generators (there is not much code) for people that
> need them .

First, does it pass a basic statistical analysis?  e.g. mean, standard
deviation, probability of individual number all correct, no patterns, and
probably a bunch of other things I never learned about.  I'm working on a
final for a course that spent a large amount of time on a random
generator.

What were you testing?  How long it took to generate a bunch of numbers?
I had a hard time figuring out what you meant by worse performance.

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds