Re: crontab

In article <[🔎] 19971206180517.36881@rpcweb.dmccorp.com>,
Steve Greenland <stevegr@master.debian.org> wrote:
>On 05-Dec-1997 10:32:37, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
>> The fact that the three lines added here ever get seen in the output of
>>
>>  crontab -l
>>
>> is a bug IMO:
>
>Actually, I got a better understanding of why and where that header
>was being added, and I was going to make crontab -l NOT include the
>header on the next release.
>
>However, the existence of scripts that do "crontab -l |tail +4" make
>the removal a problem as well.

Especially since that line is usually used in the prerm script, so
an upgrade won't help.. It might be worth it to locate all the packages
that do this, and file a bug report against them. You should mention that
tail +4 is dangerous since the behaviour of crontab -l might change , and
recommend something like:

crontab -l | sed -e '/^#.*\(DO NOT EDIT\|Cron version\|installed on\).*$/d'

instead. Then wait for Debian 2.2 or so, so you can be reasonably sure
everybody has upgraded all those packages at least once and release
a new cron..

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  Studying to be a technomage   <*>
    miquels@cistron.nl  | "May you live in interesting times"