Re: predepends on libc6?

dark@xs4all.nl (Richard Braakman) writes:

> > The packaging manual is wrong; this is a long standing bug.
>
> Can you explain, or refer to a bug number that explains it?

No.  I have neither the time nor the inclination to trawl through the
hundreds of bugs filed against dpkg.

> It's not very good to have incorrect instructions for shared
> libraries at a time when we're doing a massive shared-library
> upgrade.

Most of the libraries have done long ago, and the packaging manual has
been wrong since before the release of bo.

> > > Why is it calling ldconfig?
> >
> > Because it's the Right thing to do.
>
> Heh.  That argument only convinces me if I already know why it's
> Right :-)

Take a look at the postinsts for every package with a shared library.
You seem fond of statistics, how many *don't* run ldconfig?

> What does the ldconfig do, if the symlinks are already there?

RTFM.  Also, try it and see.  I dare you to take a bo machine, rebuild
hamm's bash and remove the C postinst which runs ldconfig and then
install the resultant debs.

(Hint: it tells the dynamic linker that the library is there)

--
James