Re: predepends on libc6?

Bdale Garbee wrote:
> There has been an apparent lack of interest in whether gzip should
> pre-depend on libc6.

You might be mistaking consensus for lack of interest :)

I see nothing wrong with making gzip pre-depend on libc6.  It seems
to be exactly what pre-depend was made for.

But suddenly I have a nagging doubt.  What does the libc6 configuration
do that gzip needs?  It sets up the symbolic links, presumably.  Its
postinst just does "ldconfig".

However, chapter 12 of the packaging manual says:

 Secondly, your package should include the symlink that ldconfig would
 create for the shared libraries.

and:

 If you do the above your package does not need to call ldconfig in its
 maintainer scripts.

So, could this be something that should be fixed in libc6?
Why is it calling ldconfig?

Richard Braakman