Re: libc5

On Fri, Dec 05, 1997 at 07:01:01PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> I think David Engel is working on an interim libc6 release. But it seems
> there are quite a lot of packages to be worked on.
>
> Michael
>
> > ----------

We are switching to libc6.  I don't see any point in continuing work
on libc5 except for security fixes.  Even if the risk is small, what
do we gain?

> > I haven't heard anything from Helmut Geyer in months, except for a
> > message on Sep 24 saying he was back.  (Apparently he wasn't).

I think it's safe to assume that Helmut is gone (from Debian).  IMO,
even if Helmut were to reappear today, he would have to re-establish
his presence for quite some time beforing being trusted again with
such important packages as libc.

> > I think it is time to officially orphan his packages, so that they can
> > find new maintainers.
> >
> > As far as I can tell from the Packages files, this is his current list
> > of packages:
> >
> > Source glibc: (already taken over)
> >   libc6-pic, libc6, libc6-dbg, locales, libc6-dev, timezones,
> > libc6-doc

I am maintaining libc6* until a suitable replacement can be found.
Any volunteers should contact me.

> > Source procps:
> >   procps, libproc-dev, xproc
> >
> > Source libc:
> >   libc5-altdev, libc5, libc5-altdbg
> >
> > Source fortune-mod:
> >   fortune-mod, fortunes
> >
> > Package ghostview
> > Package lacheck   (needs conversion to libc6)
> > Package chos
> > Package auctex
> > Package xxgdb

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road