isdnutils/diald/ppp - hangs on authentication request

I have an internal ISDN card using the HiSax driver and isdnutils; the
kernel is 2.0.31 + patches (equivalent, I think, to 2.0.32)
Versions:
ii  isdnutils       2.1.beta1-16   isdn utilities
ii  ppp             2.3.1-6        Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) daemon.
ii  diald           0.16.4-10      dial on demand daemon for PPP and SLIP.

The ISDN connection to my ISP is via a pseudo-modem on ttyI0.  In all other
respects it is the same as the connection via analogue modem.

The connection will hang if (I think) a remote authentication request
is received.  For instance, if I try to use it to upload a package to
chiark, the first file goes across, then there is an authentication request
from chiark and then the link is hung.

Can anyone offer a solution to this?  Has anyone any idea which package
the bug is in, or is it in the kernel itself?

How can I find out more precisely what is going wrong?

Unsolicited email advertisements are not welcome; any person sending
such will be invoiced for telephone time used in downloading together
with a £25 administration charge.