Re: Config file management utility

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Another way, that sould comply with policy, were if cron came with a
> update-crontab script, that was responsible for modifying /etc/crontab,
> in a similar fasion to update-inetd.

I think that this, or something similar, is in the end, the right
solution.

Ideally, I think this should be handled like the menu package.
/etc/crontab would be augmented to have something like:

  # ==== BEGIN AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED SECTION -- DO NOT EDIT ==== #

  # ====  END AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED SECTION -- DO NOT EDIT  ==== #

Then each package would just have a file in /usr/lib/cron/auto (or
whatever) which would be used to (re)build the contents of this
section whenever a relevant package was installed.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>