Re: too many directories in /usr/doc?

On Sun, Nov 30, 1997 at 01:48:38PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> Thanks for using NetForward!
> http://www.netforward.com
> v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
>
> > I'm taking over maintaining the linux-gazette packages from Christian
> > Schwarz, and I would prefer to just have /usr/doc/lg/copyright, rather than
> > having one in each /usr/doc/lg-issueXX directory. There will not be anything
> > else in /usr/doc/lg-issueXX as the issues are installed in /usr/doc/lg.
> >
> > This seems the most reasonable to me, as it saves having sixteen
> > directories. I've just looked at the X stuff and it has loads of
> > directories, each with a copyright file in it. Hmmm.
> >
> I'm surprised that there isn't a single directory, /usr/doc/lg, that contains
> all the issues. If people feel that it would be an abuse of policy not
> to have a /usr/doc entry for each issue, then simply make them a soft link
> into /usr/doc/lg.

I'd forgotten that I'll have to have seperate changelogs for each package
anyway, so the original post is a bit void. I was basically have a quick
swipe at the policy for being very rigid:
(policy 5.6)
     Every package must be accompanied by a verbatim copy of its copyright
     and distribution license in the file /usr/doc/<package-name>/copyright.
     This file must neither be compressed nor be a symbolic link.

however I missed the third paragraph which says:

     /usr/doc/<package-name> may be a symbolic link to a directory in
     /usr/doc only if two packages both come from the same source and the
     first package has a "Depends" relationship on the second. These rules
     are important because copyrights must be extractable by mechanical means.

which is *almost* what I wanted - it only allows symlinking the
/usr/doc/<package-name> directory, not any file inside it.

Cheers

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS