Re: be careful with Replaces, please

Yann Dirson <ydirson@a2points.com> writes:

> > BTW, is there a particular reason that e2fsprogs got renamed to
> > e2fsprogsg?  This seems to be the biggest chance to completely
> > screw over someone's system in all of Debian now.
>
> Yes: e2fsprogs used to contain shared libs, on which dump and quota
> depend. Thus, e2fsprogs was assumed to be a package with libc5 libs,
> and I could not keep the name, without breaking dump and quota on a
> hamm upgrade.

Uhh, why not just conflict with suitable versions of dump and quota?
Changing the name is an absolutely *stunningly* bad idea IMHO.

This really should have been discussed before you implemented it
(apart from anything else you've made a new package essential so
discussion is required by policy).

--
James