Re: perl module packages: why do they exist?

Hi,
>>"Adam" == Adam P Harris <apharris@onshore.com> writes:

Adam> I don't understand why the debian developers are undertaking to
Adam> maintain debianified version of Perl modules when the CPAN
Adam> module and its mechanisms are so much more native to Perl, are
Adam> well-supported by the Perl community, etc?  Besides, Perl
Adam> already has it's own automated upgrade system (CPAN), it's own
Adam> configuration mgmt system (Config), and it's own automated
Adam> compilation and installation system (MakeMaker).

Adam> It seems like making work for no good reason.  Let all the Perl
Adam> modules be installed by way of CPAN.  You could even have simple
Adam> scripts driving installation.  I really feel we'd have a better
Adam> and more supported Perl product that way.

	How do I remove packages using cpan? Can I downgrade to a
 lower version? make sure that all modules I have installed are
 upgraded? Ensure that the perl modules that are available for auto
 handling have been looked over by an expert, *for the Debian system*
 specifically? Can other packages, that need modules, determine that
 they have been installed on my machine? Can I hold a module to a
 the current version, even if new versions are available, while
 updating the rest?

	I think you underestimate the work a systems integrator does.

	I am planning on creating a make-ppkg package that shall
 create perl packages just like make-kpkg creates kernel-image
 packages, but I'm still recovering from a disk crash, and I have
 other commitments at the moment.

	manoj
--
 After winning the decathlon, Jim Thorpe was told by the King of
 Sweden, "You are the world's greatest athlete." Thorpe replied,