Re: Re^2: Link to Japanese Debian?

On Aug 01, Steve Dunham wrote:

> FYI, if your locale is set to 'de' the files in
>    /usr/X11/lib/X11/de/app-defaults
> will override the usual ones.  (So you can localize some X applications.)
> It would be nice if someone could translate XTerm, etc. into various
> languages...
>
> Steve
> dunham@cps.msu.edu

Does anybody more about it? I tried it out, but couldn't get it to work.
The documentation lacks.

About locale settings:

How about a groub of interested people, that think a bit about a standard
way to internationalize Debian?

Here a quick summary:

* There is the Consistent Keyboard Configuration (see
  debian-i18n@lists.debian.org)
* There is the GNU locale.
* There are various translations of man pages (somewhat outdated ?)
* There are various translations of HOW-TOs (somewhat outdated ?)
* I don't know about info files...
* Steve says, that X supports locale settings for the resource database (see
  above). Someone knows anything? It didn't work for me (hamm).

Things that we need:
* A few clever ideas how to support languages in the overall debian system:
  - GNU locale settings
  - X resource database
  - non-standard packages
  - seperation of system and user settings
  - seperation of language specific and not languagic speficific entries in
    config files.
* Translations of the Debian manuals under /usr/doc/debian*.
* Translations of the Debian docs coming soon.
* Translations of the package description field.
* Translations of the .../X11/lib/app-defaults resources
* Individual configuration of the various packages that don't support a
  standard way like gnu-locale (mailers, text editors,...). this needs to be
  done carefully and on a user basis. Perhaps something that can be done
  with the admin tool sometimes. For the beginnning, a few scripts would be
  great, I think.

Are there enough interested people? Perhaps we should start with a
discussion independent from the languages themself, and then start to
translate (can be parallel IMO).

BTW: What languages can we supply? We have english, and surely enough people
to work on french and german. perhaps spanish, polish, italian? ...?

Thank you,
Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."