Re: Upcoming Debian Releases: linking shlibs against shlibs...

On %M %N, Federico Di Gregorio wrote
> > gcc -g -shared -Wl,-soname,libfakeroot.so.0 -o libfakeroot.so.0.0 libfakeroot.o -ldl -lc
> > $ ldd libfakeroot.so.0.0
> >         statically linked
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> dunno! I am having the same problem. Maybe if libfakeroot.o does not
> require libc nor libdl (and I dont think its the case... :(,
> they dont get linked in and so the lib is statically linked.

This is due to a misfeature on how ldd works on libraries.  Basically,
if the name doesn't contain a '/', will look for the library in the
standard locations.  In the case above, ldd is saying that the
libfakeroot.so.0.0 in /usr/lib is statically linked.  To get ldd to
check the newly built library, use 'ldd ./libfakeroot.so.0.0'.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road