Re: /usr vs. root was: /etc /usr/etc

On 7 Jul 1997, Carey Evans wrote:

> Vadim Vygonets <vadik@cs.huji.ac.il> writes:
>
> > On 6 Jul 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > 	So, we decide on placing files dependeing on where the
> > >  upstream sources put their files? This does not sound like a sound
> > >  technical policy to me. Remember, most authors do not write with
> > >  Debian's file system discipline in mind.
> >
> > And you know why?  Because other Unices have similar filesystems,
> > i.e., noone puts site-wide conffiles in /etc.  The authors kept in
> > mind the more technical definition of files which must go to /usr,
> > that is, the files that don't have to be different on the machines
> > across the network (like hostname), aren't essential for boot or
> > single-user mode maintainance.
>
> [snip]
>
> Some authors feel a bit differently.  Dan Bernstein, for example,
> thinks that all a program's files should go in the same place, and
> that /var is a good place for this (/var/qmail).  Other packages do
> this by default as well, like apache and jed.

It isn't in /usr because qmail and http daemons are machine-local, not
essential for booting or maintainance, and they have plenty of files,
while the root partition is usually limited to something like 16M.
And about jed: I thought that it puts conffiles in /usr/local/lib or
/usr/lib...  Am I wrong?

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows...  everything.