Re: Recompiling packages for Pentium.

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Jim Pick wrote:

> > Is it possible, as some people mentioned, to recompile packages to take
> > advantage of gcc-pentium.  This could be like the m68k port.
>
> I'm in favour of this - as long as the packages compiled for the 386 are
> still available.  I've got a few 386's and 486's that are running Debian.

I agree, it would be like a binary-pentium, or binary-i586, but we'd still
keep binary-i386.

> As long as we have enough disk space - why not optimize for everything
> out there?  Optimizing for Pentium seems like an excellent place to
> start, since they are so common.  Any idea what the performance gain
> would be?

It depends, check the pgcc home page for more info.  Just checked it.
They say b/w 5% and 30% speed improvment.  Their hand compiled gzip, which
they use -O6 on, (which they say, is normally very unstable) is about 35%
faster.

> This might be a step towards enhancing the packaging system to handle
> source dependencies, and automated compiling/optimizing.  If we were
> to support super-optimized distributions, then it would be a could way
> to test out an automated building system for packages.  Even if the
> performance gain is slight, it would make sense if the effort to
> support it was not great.

I agree.

Thanks,

Shaya