Re: /etc /usr/etc: solution?

On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Alex Yukhimets wrote:

> > > I just don't understand the reason why this thread is so active. I
> > > can't beleive so many people experienced the problems of poor sysadmin
> > > over the network of 100's hosts with NFS mounted /usr, who prefer to
> > > write tons of messages instead of simple script to automate hard task
> > > of updating /etc on different machines.
> > > (Sorry Vadim if this offends you, I don't mean it. This is just the
> > > level of my understanding.)
> >
> > It doesn't offend me.  I don't admin large networks Debian systems
> > yet, although it might change soon.  I just think that one of the
> > reasons to keep conffiles in /usr is what you argued against, and
> > another one is that any Unix system must keep its root partition (and,
> > therefore, /etc) as small as possible.  And regarding many people: I
>
> I just checked and my /etc takes about 2MB. Is that 1MB you want to
> move to /usr and therefore make root partition smaller we are talking
> about???

$ du -sk /etc
1226    /etc

=> only 1.2 MB on my machine (which also happen to be nfs/appletalk/samba
server + ISDN gateway)

(As comparison, /lib contains 5.7 MB, /bin contains 4 MB, ...)

> Even more, moving things to /usr would require judgement from _each_
> package maintainer. I suspect most of us do not have experience of
> large network administaration and common sense may easily fail.
>
> Guys, let's keep eyes on the ball and postpone the solution of this
> problem till it would actually be a problem. Meanwhile someone
> (Vadim ?) could develop a package containing utilities which would
> simplify task of maintainence and administration of large network
> environments.

Agreed, although I still don't see what's wrong with cfengine...

	Cordialement,

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -