Re: Proposal: /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc

On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Vadim Vygonets:
> > Yo!  Then you will nees to put different /etc/hostname and
> > /etc/whatever for different machines at one disk...  This is not about
> > what I say.  I don't think it's a solution to what I propose.  Too
> > hairy for this simple thing.  Other Unices are simple.  Yann's
> > solution is simple.  This one is hairy.
>
> But nametrans makes it simple. You have /etc/fstab#host=foo# and
> /etc/fstab#host=bar# and foo and bar see different things for /etc/fstab

Not simple enough.  If you have diskless (swap doesn't count)
workstation, you have no other choise.  But if you have a workstation
with a disk, one of the things you must have is an option to boot it
in single-user mode, when the fileserver is dead, or when you killed
your root partition or something.  In one word, maintainance.  Then,
your solution os not good enough.  Again, why wouldn't you like Yann's
solution?  Simple enough, not too many changes in Debian policy, and
no new kernel.

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows...  everything.