Re: new approach: Documentation Policy

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Yann Dirson wrote:

> Christian Meder writes:
>  > On Jul 3, Christian Schwarz wrote
>  > > In case of converted HTML documentation, the files with the original mark
>  > > up format should not be included, unless they are considered as "example
>  > > documents" for that mark up language. (.texi files are an exception to
>  > > this rule, see below.)
>  >
>  > doesn't fit sgml this bill too? It's a generic markup language and can
>  > be converted into html, info, etc. on demand.
>
> Maybe some special handling has to be done for sgml. IMHO, it
> should be shipped as both sgml and html-converted; maybe as info too ?
> Anyway, it's far too slow to convert on-the-fly (at least with sdc; I
> don't know about others; linuxdoc-sgml ?)

You are right. I thought about this again. My last argument (that the
sgml compilers are two slow) did not make much sense, since runnnig TeX
over a texinfo file takes some time too.

So I think we should treat SGML files like texinfo files: Each package
should ship a precompiled HTML version, as well as SGML source code. In
addition, there should be a unique way to produce other formats
(Postscript, etc.) from the SGML source.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com