Re: Proposal: /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc

J.R.Blaakmeer@student.utwente.nl writes:
 > I don't know much about other unices, but I think you will never get your
 > wishes to be the standard. Who is to decide which configuration file is
 > site-wide? I can imagine that some people would want a local config file
 > for some program where you would want to have a site-wide config file. I
 > still believe that the system with symlinks is the best way to do this.

Sorry, but I do think my idea of using somewhat a path for conffiles
is (in theory, at least) a bit more satisfying; and that practically,
the alternative of tweaking the file-system would be more viable.

 > Maybe dpkg should ask at installation time if a config file will be
 > computer-specific or site-wide. In the case of a site-wide config file it
 > would place a diversion for all files in /etc to /usr/etc and place the
 > right symlinks. The script I mentioned above would update all
 > workstations. Of course this behaviour of dpkg would be a feature that
 > has to be turned on or else everyone who is using Debian on a standalone
 > computer will be asked those questions every time. And of course the
 > question would not be asked again if a package is upgraded to the next
 > version.

IMO, in this case it would be better to have dpkg install everything
as site-wide, and use a seperate program to switch conffiles between
site-wide and machine-local. (BTW, AFAIK, such a scheme would
integrate smoothly in a Red-Hat-like "control-panel" (or whatever they
call this ala-M$Win window with just a column of awfully large buttons :)

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>
http://monge.univ-mlv.fr/~dirson