Re: why are shared libs chmod +x? (again)

On Fri, Jun 27, 1997 at 11:03:25AM +0200, joost witteveen wrote:
> The only reason I remember is that the shared libraries are
> "executed", only not from the commandline, but within other binaries.

Yes, but the file mode suggests that they can be executed from the
commandline (or by calling execve(2), more precisely). After all, only
execve(2) cares about files having their executable bits set -- ldso/mmap
works fine without.

I don't think that "telling the user that the file may be part of an
executable" is a good reason for using mode 755. If a user wants to know
more about the purpose of a file, he can use file(1) and get a much better
answer.

Martin
--
/* Martin Buck                      E-Mail: martin-2.buck@student.uni-ulm.de */