Re: security/installation question regarding plan

"Colin R. Telmer" <telmerco@qed.econ.queensu.ca> writes:

[snip]

> Also, netplan only reads and writes to
>
> LIB/netplan.dir the directory that netplan puts files into, and the only
>                 directory that netplan will read from (see Network
>                 Security).
>
> where LIB under the vanilla installation would be /usr/local/lib.

[snip]

> Questions:
> 1) What is /var/lib/netplan used for? It seems to me that the only
>    directory that is needed for netplan is /usr/lib/plan/netplan.dir.

The idea of the separate /usr and /var is so that I could change
/etc/fstab to include something like the following, and I wouldn't
notice:

/dev/hda5   /usr   ext2   ro   0   2

If netplan writes to /usr/lib/netplan.dir, it would break with these
settings.

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

	    "Lies, damn lies, and computer documentation."