Re: Copyright question

On 31 May 1997, John Goerzen wrote:

> A program I am packaging has a copying policy as follows:
>
>   Only NON-COMMERCIAL distribution allowed. Redistribution of
>   modified versions by other people than myself is not allowed.
>   However, commercial use is no problem as long as the software
>   is NOT being commercially distributed.
>   Please send your contributions, bugreports, hints etc. to the
>   author. Thanks !
>
> Should this go in contrib or non-free?

My own thoughts about the subject:

Q) Is "deb" packaging a modification? (philosophical doubt)

A1) No.
Then Package should go in non-free ("only non-commercial distribution
allowed" ==> "non-free section", Debian Policy Manual v2.1.3.2).

A2) Yes.
Then Program can't be distributed as a Debian package.

	Best wishes,
--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental