Clean Debian installed, but a few problems left.

I got Debian installed on a clean disk now using the base1.2tgz and the
instfiles.tar, but I run across some problems:

The /etc/inittab from instfiles.tar gave errors and failed to execute
some program (like dselect). Also the inittab it restored after it was
run was taken from watchtower by the script and didn't work because the
format is different (why?).

After correcting this I was able to boot from hd and runn dselect
manually without problems.

After hours of installing I was left with two problems, probably related
to the failures of the inittab on the first boot:

/dev/mouse not found.
nslookup faild (-> couldn't configure smail, .......)

I will try to fix the nslookup problem, but for the mouse I could need
some hint.

Last two little anoying bugs:
1. When suplying a base path for dselect (first question under
   acess/mounted) it complains about not being able to find
   stable/binary-i386. Is that a bug in the source or just a broken
   configfile?

   I was able to work around the problem by answering none at the first
   prompt and then supplying the correct path at the next. Doing that worked
   fine.

2. dselect doesn't give any message / warning when you try to install a
   package you don't have. As a result all packages that depend on a
   missing package will fail without the missing package failing. (Which
   left me confused for some time.)

-----------------[ Hello to all fans in domestic surveillance ]----------------
 security NORAD plutonium DES radar Semtex Clinton Uzi NSA domestic disruption
 smuggle kibo nuclear fissionable Legion of Doom SDI cryptographic SEAL Team 6
-----------------[ Hello to all fans in domestic surveillance ]----------------