RFC: Policy for arch specs

Hi folks!

As I'm working on a new Policy I'm handling the request to include a
policy for "correct architecture spec strings". However, I've discovered
_several_ threads here on debian-devel without any (obvious) results.

Is it correct, that we are currently working on ports to the following
platforms (the abbrevs should be the ones that dpkg is using in the file
names):
	i386
	alpha
	arm
	m68k
	powerpc
	sparc
Are these correct (i.e. not ppc) and is this list complete?

Next step: GNU's "configure" utility. I thought that we had agreed on
using
	i386-unknown-linux
(and similar for the other architectures), but then I had just discovered
that GCC uses
	/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/
                         ^^^^^^^^^^

(first it says "i486" instead of "i386", second it ommits the "unknown").

(The reason we didn't choose
	i386-debian-linux
is that we wanted our utilities to be compatible with other
distributions.)

Any comments, please.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/