Re: ssh and default home directory permissions (revisited?)

On 26 May 1997, Carey Evans wrote:

> I've removed group write permissions from my home dir because of the
> programs like qmail and ssh which don't like it.  I don't think
> anything would break because of removing these permissions, so maybe
> adduser should make home directories mode 755 (or 750)?

Let's be careful with 750...many webservers run equivalent to nobody.
Setting user home directories will mean additional user training (a.k.a.
more questions for the sysadmin...) when users are creating webpages.

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590