Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

On May 24, Mark Baker wrote

> In article <[🔎] 19970524114038.43000@dungeon.inka.de>,
> 	Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:
>
> > b) change policy to _not_ allow config information in /etc scripts
>
> I disagree strongly. A script without config information doesn't belong in
> /etc at all.

sometimes you need to change a script, no matter how good it is. if we
move scripts out of /etc and don't mark them as conffiles, we would need
a good mechanism to ensure, that a script hasn't changed. till you find
a good solution, keep them as configgile in /etc.

> Having your database seems like a reasonable idea, but it needs to be plain
> text which might be slow; a db file would be faster but I want to be able to
> change it in a text editor.

there are a lot of required features :
 - text files (so you can edit them by hand)
 - path style variables commands (network/interface/eth0)
 - import and exports commands
 	(textdb --export |rsh hostname textdb --import :-)
 - implemented in c ( -> fast enough, no dependcy on perl/whatever)
 - list, is, exec function would be great
 	(for A in textdb --list network/interface ; do
		textdb --exec network/interface/$A; done :-)
 - maybe even more ...

but : don't discuss it now. someone is working on a realy good
textdb/cfgtool/however-you-call-it, and i'm sure that he will do the
right thing. wait till it is released.

regards, andreas