Re: Missing xemacs

Guy,

I think you made the wrong decision here.  James LewisMoss never
responded to the 8857 bug list to your request for pulling xemacs.  In
fact, I couldn't find anyone other than yourself who supported the
decision to pull xemacs completely.  The discussion was whether
xemacs-19.14 or 19.15 was the best choice for bo.  Could you please
state your reasons for removing xemacs?  xemacs-19.14 doesn't have any
fatal flaws.  Bug 8857 suggested that 19.15 be the official bo xemacs;
it did not suggest that xemacs-19.14 be removed from bo distribution
entirely.

xemacs-19.14 and emacs conflict, but that is generally not considered
a reason for removing a package.  xemacs-19.14 is usable and better
than nothing.  Perhaps I misunderstood our policy, but I thought that
a package should only be removed from stable if it has a critical
bug.  I didn't see any discussion on any mailing claiming that xemacs
has a critical bug.  In any case, the removal of xemacs requires
further discussion.

Please reconsider the decision to pull xemacs from bo.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevin@aimnet.com