Re: config packages [Was: rm -r * and the default prompt]

On May 21, Brian Mays wrote

> Kai Henningsen <kai@khms.westfalen.de> writes:
>
> > One thing that I have missed in this debate so far: a lot of the
> > configurations relevant to this discussion should really be adjustable per
> > user.
>
> Ideally, yes.  I guess so many of us have single-user systems that
> this point tends to get overlooked.
>
> > With that in mind, wasn't there some dot file generator? Could that thing
> > be made to do this?
>
> Now you are talking about a program to be executed by each user that
> lists a series of possible configurations for each application and
> allows the user to choose one.
>
> This truly would be the best way to make Debian newbie-friendly.  Now
> all we need is someone to write this thing (or to find and improve
> this dot file generator to which you refer, if it exists).
>
> Brian

I've been planning to package it for a while, but never find time for it.  I
will package it this weekend though.  The dotfile generator I am talking about
is a TCL/TK app, which has a "module" for each app it generates dotfiles for.
It currently has bash, fvwm1, fvwm2, elm, emacs, ipfwadm, rtin and tcsh
modules.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com