Re: config packages [Was: rm -r * and the default prompt]

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

>  I think that this is the kind of thinking that is killing Debian.
>
>  1) Newbie setting doesn't mean annoying settings.
>  2) `real men' like you can change those settings.
>  3) Configuration packages is an awful idea that goes against the idea of
> package. A better solution would be a system setting that packages would
> check an install the apropiate default.
>  4) We aren't building a distribution only for us.
>
>  Let's stop being so narrow minded... We need a little of marketing... We
> need to be known as an easy distribution for newbies...

The problem with that approach is that many of those "newbie" settings
are just a matter of taste. We don't want to set a thousand of those
parameters in hundreths of different config files that will have to be
edited to reset them.

It would be easier if all those parameters could be grouped in a
single config package. We may have a handful of those to choose
(hint: "themes"). It may even be useful for localization!

I don't see the reason why you don't like the idea of Config packages.
Can you elaborate a little more on that, please?

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna