Re: rm -r * and the default prompt

On 18 May 1997, John Goerzen wrote:

> >  Be prepared to receive lots of messages saying things like "unix is for
> > real men that can look manpages set their own prompts" and "we shouldn't
> > make any decision about the system's look and feel, the sysadm should"...
> >  The kind of decisions that keep newbie Linux users away from Debian...
> I don't think Debian is really aiming at newbies.  (RedHat is)  Debian
> is aiming at the power user or admin type -- the people that already
> know Unix.  Debian is wonderful for people like that -- you get the
> raw power of Unix with the most tedious tasks conveniently automated
> via the package manager.  I don't think that we should go around
> changing defaults like prompts just to be more friendly to newbies.
> If we want to be friendly to newbies, we can write an X configurator
> like RedHat; but I don't think that's what we want.

 I don't agree.

 Most people that adopt Linux come from DOS. Linux is expanding the UNIX
users base. I come from DOS-OS/2 too. I used Slackware, and I changed
because it was a mess. Current newbies that start with RH won't change to
Debian, they don't need to. And those newbies learn, become `RH-gurus' and
sit quietly at home waiting for a commercial corporation to handle their
OS =).

 I also think that we should try to aim to the bigger amount of targets
that we can...

 So I say: PS1="[\\u] \\h:\\w\\$ " !!!!  =D

--
Nicolás Lichtmaier.-