Re: Default editor/pager

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Ian Jackson wrote:

> We've been round this several times, with lots of discussion, but I
> think it's time to do it again and hopefully get resolution.

> [...proposal deleted...]

sounds ideal.  I can't find a single thing wrong with it.

> 6. Implementation - phase 2, use:
>
> 6.1. editpw and editgr need to be added to the passwd package,
>      and vipw and vigr changed to use vi unless EDITOR is set.

that solves the intensely annoying "i typed 'vipw' NOT 'aepw'" problem.

> 6.2. All other programs which have ae as a default editor for when
>      EDITOR is unset or more as a default pager for when PAGER is
>      unset need to be changed to use editor or pager.

perfect. as long as i install vi & less I wont have to edit /etc/profile
or ~/.bashrc or whatever. update-alternatives will take care of it for
me (which is what the alternatives system was designed for!)

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract