No 3,5" boot disks.

Ryan Smith-Roberts <rsr@lab.net> writes:

> On Fri, 9 May 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > surely there's 66K of free space  on the boot disks...actually, it probably
> > needs less considering it'll be compressed.
> >
> > base14-4.bin is only 1381376 bytes (out of 1474560).  looks like there's
> > just enough room to squeeze it in.
>
> Umm, not any more.  base-5.bin is a good 200k short.
>
> Although I realize I haven't been paying attention, how come the boot
> disks are now only distributed in 5.25" floppy chunks?

When I rebuilt the base system some packages were larger so I needed
five disks even if I use 1.44MB disks. So I simply dropped the 1.44MB
images because they don't save a floppy.

And with the option of installing base via CD-ROM, NFS or hard disk
many people won't use floppies for installing the base system, so I
decided to not invest time into finding out which packages incresed
their size.

And it saves some space on the FTP servers, CD-ROMs etc ... ;-)

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/