Re: ae's vi attempt on boot disks stomps on real vi symlink

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

> > > We must provide a setup that a beginner can install and begin
> > > learning from.
>
> > Yes, but we must also provide a system that isn't going to make
> > experienced unix people turn away in disgust.
>
> I think that an experienced unix person will fully understand the
> newbie's predicament, and that it's a given to them that `Emacs` and
> `vi` will be available. They will quickly see that when `dselect` is
> run during the install process.

we have already had several reports of people who have looked at
installing debian (or been shown it by debian users) but decided against
using it because vi wasn't on the base disks. they didn't bother even
getting to the stage of running dselect.

> > There is a big difference between accomodating newbies and crippling
> > the system in order to cater to them.
>
> I don't think `ae` is crippling anything. It is enabling. We all have
> to start someplace, you know. Rome wasn't built in a day.

you miss my point.

including ae is not what is crippling the system.

failing to include vi is what is crippling it.

Why can't people understand simple, straight-forward phrases like
"nobody is suggesting that ae be removed from the base disks, but many
are suggesting that vi should be included AS WELL"? Is that really so
difficult to understand? Nobody wants to take ae away!

If room can be found on the disks for vi then what is your objection?
you don't have to use it if you don't want to, you can continue using
ae.

what is so wrong with accomodating people who can use vi?  are they not
deserving of any consideration simply because they are not newbies?

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract