open package -- /bin? Why?

I've just noticed something about the open package (1.4-1) -- the
two executables that come with it, open and switchto, are both
placed in /bin.

I was under the impression that /bin was for 'system critical tools'
only.. and I highly doubt that these two are critical. :)

Why are they there?

--
Brought to you by the letters N and C and the number 9.
"He's like.. some sort of.. non-giving up.. school guy!" -- Bart Simpson