Re: ae's vi attempt on boot disks stomps on real vi symlink

 `vi` is not 'intuitive' for a Linux neophyte to use.  People
migrating from DOS, Windows or Macintosh are going to expect an editor
to begin accepting text as soon as they begin typing.  `vi` wants you
to put it in the mood first.[1]  I think it would be very difficult to
figure out without a manual in front of you.

 I think that `ae` is an excellent choice for the boot-disk editor
because of the help feature, and its 'modeless' operation.  It is easy
for a beginner to use, with a very flat learning curve.  It doesn't
break long lines on you like non-free `pico` does.  Later in the
installation process, a real editting tool, which must be learned from
a manual, such as Emacs, or Emacs in 'viper'[2] mode (hehe. ;-) ) can be
installed.

 A new GNU[3] can login to his very own Linux computer, knowing
nothing at all but a few M$-DO$ commands, type 'edit something', and
get what they expect. (I guess maybe Mac users will be confused by all
the buttons...)

 I guess it is a problem for `vi` and `elvis` users if the symlink in
/etc/alternatives isn't being set the way it should when one of those
editors gets installed.  But `ae`, not `elvis-lite` belongs on the
boot set.  We must provide a setup that a beginner can install and
begin learning from.  If things are too complicated and hard to get
started with, many will become frustrated, microwave their CD, and
never try again.  Or worse; they might put on RedHat, glint-out
clicking the rpm christmas presents, never see the real thing for the
interface, and believe that what they've bought is the real GNU/Linux.

Footnotes:
[1] `vi` seems so anachronistic to me...  it's interface must take a
lot of getting used to.  Is it scriptable/programmable?  Does it have
a macro facility?  Is there a 'help' or 'info' feature? Anything like
'dired' or 'efs'?  (fyiviu, 'dired' is emacs directory editor, 'efs'
is an extended filesystem that works over an ftp link...  you can edit
files remotely with it, in XEmacs.)

[2]  {ESC x viper-mode}

[3]  Gnu New User

--