Re: Advice on copyrights (Re: TkRat (fwd))

On Tue, 6 May 1997, J.H.M.Dassen wrote:

> On May 5, Daniel Quinlan wrote
> > Mark Baker <mbaker@iee.org> writes:
> > > Is this OK for the main distribution, or will it, as I suspect, have to
> > > go into non-free?

> > What is a "significant modification"?
>
> Does this matter? We have more restrictive copyrights.

[snip]

> Thus, it looks like we allow "redistribution of modified versions is allowed
> only if the name is changed" cases.
>
> Christian, does the policy manual say anything about this?

The Policy is very clear in that point:

----------
All packages in the Debian distribution proper must be freely useable,
modifiable and redistributable in both source and binary form.[1] It must
be possible for anyone to distribute and use modified source code and
their own compiled binaries, at least when they do so as part of a Debian
distribution.

[1] It is OK for there to be a requirement that modified versions carry a
warning, or that they be released with a different name or version number,
or something similar, because we can comply with this requirement if
necessary.
----------

So the Policy explicitely (see footnote) allows programs with licenses as
of "TkRat" to go into the main distribution. Of course, we have to change
the name of the program if we make any modifications.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/